Thursday, January 06, 2005

A Matter of Semantics

The other week my sister and I were talking about the use of the word "proud", and she stated that it was a word she tried never to use with her kids because pride is a sin according to the Bible. Now I agree with that, but had never really thought about my usage before. However, since this discussion, I've had a lot of time to think about how I use the word, and I realize that I tell my children when they've achieved something that I'm proud of them, or I'm proud of accomplishing something difficult that I've been attempting to do for awhile.

Now telling the kids that you're proud of them is a manner of praise, and it slips off the tongue as naturally as ice cream off a spoon in July. You say it without even realizing what you have said. So now that I am attempting to watch my "pride level" more closely, I find that I have to think about what I say more carefully before I say it. I'm amazed at how many different ways there are to praise a child without telling them you are proud of them. I admire, I respect, I'm pleased with their accomplishments, but I refuse to be proud of them. However, this is much more difficult than I had imagined it would be. The pride habit is difficult to break, but breaking it I am. Am I proud of my accomplishments thus far? I'm trying very hard not to be, but I am definitely pleased with my work!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting concept. I was raised that pride is the deadly sin when you don't give credit to God for the ability and the blessings. The key is to remember the font from which all blessings flow and to remember that without Him, there is nothing we can do.

Shondratasha

11:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home