Thursday, May 20, 2004

Privacy on The Internet - My thoughts from WG's Blog

Ack I had this 2/3rds edited the other day, and the stupid MSN ate my mouse...again! So I finally got an opportunity to try again at this one!

If I were to truly desire to be anonymous on the Internet, I probably could, not because I'm technically savvy enough to do it, but because my DH is! However at the same time, I have no desire to be, and have very little use for people who hide behind some sort of fake account to say things that aren't very nice. I was raised that if you can't say something nice don't say anything at all! I also believe that if I have something to say, I want the person to whom I am speaking to have that same opportunity to respond to my comments.

If you are going to be rude and pick on someone else's feelings, think about the last time you felt that same way yourself. Just because we are parents does not mean that we have lost our individuality or our own feelings. I know that there have been times when I have built up a day or an event in my mind and my kids and husband have not lived up to my expectations, and I have felt the same type of dissappointment that WG was feeling on Mother's Day. It is hard not to sometimes. At the same time, I do not let on my disappointment to them, as it is not their fault. My children are one of the biggest blessings in my life, and I love them dearly! Am I ever disappointed with tehir actions? Yes! Do I still love them unconditionally, even when I am disappointed? YES again! Am I allowed to have my own dreams, and be disappointed with the way reality turns out? Again, the answer is yes!

A blog, although not private, is not something that you necessarily let your kids read, since it is like a diary where you can compile your thoughts and feelings and sort them out yourself, with the help of firends that you have chosen to share it with, plus the casual voyeur that visits and you are unaware of!

This is my space to talk about what I feel and how I am dealing with things. If I choose to share certain items with my children, then that is my right. If I elect not to, that to is my choice! I realize that by publishing this on the Internet it is available for the world to see, and that I may occasionally receive comments from people who disagree with my point of view. But remember this is MY opinion, and you are free to have your own, however, please be honest in your disagreement with me, so that I have the opportunity to talk to you regarding what it is that we disagree on, so that we can either reach a resolution or walk away agreeing to disagree. Anonymity is not attractive, and does not encourage people to take you seriously! Just my opinion on the subject at hand! What's yours?

3 Comments:

Blogger WhizGidget said...

Hear Hear Margaret! Well written!

7:06 AM  
Blogger Lorna said...

Helloooo!! Welcome to the wonderful world of blogging :-D

6:39 AM  
Blogger Margaret said...

Thank you both for your comments! I am enjoying this thus far!

10:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home